I actually started two gowns at once, one in a luxurious maroon worsted wool from Burnley & Trowbridge, and one in a now-discontinued Williamsburg floral print cotton.
Because my last gown ended up too long in the waist because I neglected to account for the bulk of petticoats at the waist, I made both my petticoats first and did all my fittings over them. I also took about an inch out of the bodice length right off the bat, and ended up shortening the shoulder strap as well.
My plan was to make one gown directly from the pattern, and one with a modified bodice to close in the center front. Once I figured out the length pretty well, I cut a second muslin for my modified bodice.
|Oops...cut my mockup a little too big!|
|Super duper glamorous fitting in the bathroom.|
|Then it's time to fit sleeves|
|Let me tell you, that is NOT easy on your own.|
|Then it's time for robings or shoulder straps!|
|Jen's original idea, found on Google Images via Pinterest.|
|The stomacher will pin to the bodice under the robings but over the lacing.|
|I think the Fitbit wristband really pulls it all together.|